Monday, June 23, 2014

All is Said and Done


We have been spent the last two days just finishing up things here in Austin.

Patty has been here "batting clean up", as she refers to it.  She's here helping us to finish the final leg of this race.  We've needed to run a few last minute errands, we've been cleaning out the fridge and the pantry, straightening the house, packing, and just helping Graysen prepare to go home.

Graysen has continued to struggle with fatigue and with sickness.  The eating is not quite on track yet and she is still battling head and tummy aches.  It's just gonna take a while for it all to come together.

And we knew that.

We have continued our walking regimen when Graysen felt well enough - just like the good doctor ordered.  The walking actually helps Graysen to feel a little better, as well as making her stronger.  I think just the moving around and getting out in the fresh air is really good for her.  It seems to help her physically, as well as to boost her spirits when she's tired or feeling ill.

You guys continue to be the best support system in the world.  Since the day of surgery, not one day has passed that Graysen has not received something from one of you.  Even yesterday, she received a fruit bouquet!  It has been amazing.  Truly.  We can never thank you enough or repay the gratitude we feel for loving us so well through every single step of this journey.  You have blessed us beyond words.

Today we had a sweet surprise when our friend, Jodi Canfield and her aunt stopped in to visit!  Jodi is spending the summer in Austin and we were so excited to get to see her here:)

So, tomorrow is the big day.

It's almost hard to believe that we get to come home tomorrow and see our people!  We are so ready and excited.

This has been a journey we will never forget.  That I promise you.  I feel like I have lived a year in the last four weeks.

It has been everything.  Detailed. Complicated. Overwhelming. Hard. Scary. Emotional. Painful. Sad. Demanding. Exhausting. Successful. Good. Exciting. Blessed.

I think I have felt every emotion that you can possibly feel.  And I have felt them in big ways.   And Graysen certainly has too.

Graysen has done this.  She did everything she knew how to prepare herself for this.  She has pushed herself and has worked hard.  She has struggled and some days have really been terrible.  But some days have been really good.  And she is moving in the right direction.  She has made it through the worst part of the pain and now she has to be patient and wait for healing.

Waiting.  Patience.  Healing.

All good things.  Maybe hard.  Maybe frustrating.  Maybe not so exciting.  But good.  And necessary.


So, this is it - it's all said and done here.  It's time to go home and for Graysen to continue to get better one day at a time.

We are ready!

See you soon:)


"For You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.  Your eyes saw my unformed body;  all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.  How precious are your thoughts, God!  How vast is the sum of them!  Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand - when I awake, I am still with you."
Psam 139: 13-18


"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish it's work so that you amy be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 1: 2-4

"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you."
Philippians 1:3




Fruit Bouquet:)



Graysen and Patty






Patty and I take our job of protecting Graysen very seriously!  Crossing the street can be very dangerous....


Our last night in Austin.  Despite the circumstances, I have treasured having time with my sweet Graysen:)





Graysen has been a little busy the last few weeks.  She discovered our cute little backyard for the first time tonight!






Bye-bye, Austin!  It's been real.







Patty interviews Graysen




Thank you, again, for being such an important and wonderful part of our journey.  You have blessed us again and again.  We will continue to keep you updated as Graysen's BackStory continues.  Our love to you all:)






P.S.  Lots of people have asked us specific questions about Spinal Fusion surgery, what that entails, the hardware used, etc.  I took these photos of a model at Dr. Geck's office, showing an example of the hardware used for this surgery.  The photos show what would be a two-level correction - two vertebrae being involved.  Graysen's surgery ended up being a five-level correction.  Looking back at her "after" x-ray, you can see that she has five screws on each side, holding the two steel rods.  I hope this helps with understanding the actual surgical aspect of this experience.  


















No comments:

Post a Comment