Monday, June 9, 2014

The Big Ten



It's Sunday and it's Day Ten.  Day 10 post-surgery for Graysen.

The first five days were the worst.  The worst days I can ever remember.  The ones that I would like to forget.

But won't.

Not ever.


The second five days are somewhat of a blur, and quite honestly, I can't believe they have gone by already.

There has been a lot of much needed rest.  There have been some rough patches with pain and without sleep.  There have been a few tears, but far fewer than in the first five days.  There have been walks through the house.  To the driveway.  Down to the stop sign.  And back.   There have been a few moments of sitting in a chair or on a stool, while writing notes or in a journal.


There have been beautiful flowers and cards and food sent by the best people in the world.

Our friends.  Graysen's friends.


Peyton and Graysen have spent hours lying in bed and watching episodes of the show "Friends".  They started with season one and are planning to watch all ten seasons.  It's a great distraction.

They have laughed.  A lot.

I have re-organized the kitchen cabinets, so that I know where everything is, it makes sense, and is functional.  What? OCD? I don't know what you mean.

Anyway.

I have also swept and thoroughly scrubbed the back stone patio, grill, and outdoor furniture, washed the outdoor cushions, and filled the torches with citronella so that we can enjoy the hot, summer weather here in Texas.

Tim indulged me by buying citronella candles and OFF to be used while enjoying our new backyard.

While the girls have watched "Friends", Tim has been running the neighborhood each day, getting the "lay-of-the-land" of our new neighborhood, and visiting with some old buddies who are Oral Surgeons here in Austin.

I have done all the normal chores and laundry and tended to Graysen.

And I have enjoyed the back patio.  I have been reading and listening to music when Graysen is sleeping or watching TV.  It is so pleasant.  There seems to be a natural breeze that blows through our little back yard, there are birds - lots of them, and they make the most unique and soothing sounds,  and I can hear small kids playing in the yard next door, which is fun to listen to.

But there are mosquitos.  A lot of mosquitos.  I am absolutely covered in mosquito bites.  This state may only have one star, but they have more than plenty bugs who like to bite.

It doesn't stop me, though.  I love to be outside.  We have these amazing, huge, twisted trees that surround our house.  There is one that is crooked and bent and reaches from the back patio, over the roof of the house, and into the front yard.  I've never seen anything like it.  How it has lasted so long and not fallen through the roof of this house I will never know.

The roots of these incredible trees run all through the yard, both front and back.  The driveway gave in to the power and force of those roots a long time ago, it appears.  Tim just loves to drive across the big "bump" in the driveway.  And he loves to remind me that this is the reason he insisted on cutting down my beloved river birch trees that used to run along my driveway at home.  Whatever.

So, back to day ten.

It has been a pretty good day.  Graysen didn't sleep well last night, so she slept extra late this morning.  (The rest of us watched Djokovic lose the French Open to Nadal.  He double-faulted on the championship point.  I could't believe it.).

Back to Graysen.

She is still having pain, but it's manageable.  We are working on timing her meds so that she doesn't hurt, but it isn't more than what she needs.  She is moving so much better and easier.  She can get in and out of bed and chairs almost by herself.  I can't wait to see what the next couple days will bring.  She took two walks today.

She's tough and determined.

She still doesn't have an appetite.  We've tried every one of her favorite foods - to no avail.  So we continue to pray that she will want to eat again soon.

Tonight we watched the Miss USA pageant.  When one of the final five contestants was being interviewed they showed her family backstage.  One of my girls said, "Oh, her sisters are pretty too". Honestly, I was reading something from a group text conversation that was making me laugh, so I was a little distracted.

But I was also hearing what Peyton and Graysen were saying.

Their conversation continued.  Something about how some families have "a pretty sister" or "a smart sister", and then, "well, which one am I?".

The next thing I heard and saw was precious.

My two girls, sitting side by side on the couch, holding hands and saying, "There is no pretty sister or smart sister here.  There's just sisters.  That's all".  

Exactly.  Just sweet sisters.  As it should be.

I took their picture.  It was just one of those moments.

Day ten.  Not too bad.









"Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way.  The Lord be with all of you."
2 Thessalonians 3:16


















2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a powerful summer. Is that Tim and Gray? I didn't realize you were still in Austin. Prayers for you all. Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you asked her doctor for medication to give her an appetite ? That is how I got my appetite back after open heart surgery.

    ReplyDelete