Thursday, May 22, 2014

What the Geck!

Here's a fun fact that may surprise you:  I hate talking about this.  I mean, sometimes I'm in the mood to talk about it, but mostly, I'm not.  In fact, it's one of my least favorite topics.  I don't like explaining it all, answering questions, trying to make sense of why we are going to Texas to people who don't understand our decision.  I don't like hearing stories about other people who have scoliosis or who have had the surgery.  I really don't like people telling me that it could be worse - that it could be cancer.  I realize that, thank you.  But this is our cross to bear and so it's tough.  Truthfully, I wish it all would just go away.  Harsh, huh?!  Well, there's that dark side of me I try so hard to keep hidden.

But, what I do love is that so many people love and care about my Graysen, our family, Tim and I and how we are doing through this trial.  I love that you care enough to ask us the questions and try to comfort us with other success stories.  I love that you are trying to learn what scoliosis is and how it is treated and why it is that we are going to Texas for surgery.  I love that you call and check on us, and, most especially, that you are continually praying for us.  It is a blessing beyond words. I love that you are considerate and thoughtful, and that you are our support system.  The one we need to get over this mountain.  So please ignore my dark side, keep talking to me, and stay with us.

And as far as it not escaping me that this could be so much worse, let me say this.  We are blessed that this is our particular battle and that it will soon be over.  Graysen will be healed.  She will walk straight and be out of pain, in time.  She will be strong and do amazing things.  To say that I am thankful doesn't really cover it.  So, there's my bright side!

 I am going to try to make a long story short, without leaving out the important stuff.  I tend to be wordy, so this may not work - but here goes.

As I began to do my homework into all things scoliosis, I learned a ton.

 I learned that scoliosis is genetic and tends to run in families.  It can be apparent in infants and small children, or can show up later, like with Graysen, around the time of puberty.  It can cease to progress when a person is finished growing, or it can continue to progress into adulthood, long after physical growth has reached completion.  It can be mild, it can be severe.  And everything in between.  A person can one curve, two curves, or even three.  It causes pain - the severity of which is most likely linked to the severity of the degree of the curve.   X-rays of the spine appear either like a "C" or an "S".  Severe scoliosis can cause other issues as well if it goes untreated.  Pressure on internal organs, digestive issues, limitations with mobility and flexibility.  Tingling or numbness in the legs.  Breathing problems.  Fatigue.

It can cause the person to look deformed.  Deformed.  That word we heard from the doctor.

I had never looked at Graysen and thought of the word deformed.

But if you read the definition of the words deform, deformity, deformation - then I guess she is.

You it hear referred to in different ways.  Crooked.  Twisted.  Uneven.  Misshapen.  Asymmetrical.

Shoulders are different heights.  Head is not centered above the pelvis.  Rib cages are not the same height.  One leg appears shorter than the other.  A high hip.  The body tends to lean to one side. The back hump is common because the ribs protrude on one side of the curve in a very atypical way.



When most people look at Graysen they don't automatically notice her crooked back.  They think she has one hip cocked.  You know, one leg bent at the knee, causing one hip to hang lower.  She puts her hand on her hip.  It just looks intentional.  The hand is intentional.  The bent knee is intentional.  It makes it all look more natural and it has become a habit.  The 'ole hand-on-the-hip, one-knee-bent trick.  You will see it most of her pictures.


But, Graysen's back is crooked.  45 degrees when last measured in October.









As I got deeper into my research, I found something that totally grabbed my attention.  There is a relatively new scoliosis correction surgery.  It is not common and only a very few doctors are doing it around the country.  It is called Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery (MISS).

This procedure involves several smaller incisions, rather than a single large one.  The advantage to this approach is that is causes far less damage to the surrounding tissues, ligaments, and muscles.  It also creates far less blood loss.  In turn, the level of pain and length of recovery is lessened significantly.  Imagine scoliosis correction without the severing of those major back muscles that run aside the spine.  Incredible!

To read more about MISS go to these links:

orthoinfo.aaos.org
aans.org

I was so excited about the idea of Graysen having the MISS procedure instead of the traditional Open procedure that I literally spend the next several days and weeks researching this option.



Los Angeles, New York,  Atlanta, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Sacramento, San Francisco, New Orleans, and Austin, Texas.

Where to go for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery.



Dr. Anand, Dr. Fessler, Dr. Kanter, Dr. Khajavi, Dr. Sarwahi, Dr. Melemd, Dr. Picetti, Dr. Varma, Dr. Tobler, and Dr. Matthew Geck

Some of the top-rated doctors in this country who have pioneered an are performing the MISS procedure.  The doctors who are leading their field in this area.




I kept digging.  I read about each doctor.  His education, his training, his practice, his experience.  I read reviews.  I read articles.  I read success stories and patient testimonials.  I read everything I could find related to the MISS procedure and these doctors.   And I started narrowing down our CHOICES.

I narrowed it down to three. I narrowed it down to two.  I shared with Tim the information I had found and we discussed the OPTIONS.  He did his own research.  We kept digging.


 We kept praying.


We narrowed it down to one.

Dr. Matthew Geck of the Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center.  Austin, Texas.

setonspineandscoliosis.com


Tim, Graysen, and I felt like God led us right to him.  Every direction we looked kept pointing us in his direction.  He had the education, the training, the certification, the experience, the focus we were looking for and he is a front-runner in this area and with this particular procedure.

He was our guy.

So, we boarded a plane and went to meet him.





"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Jesus Christ.  And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus".        Philippians 4:6-7,19

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you and your sweet family! I would have never suspected you had a dark side! Not the Shawna I know! If that is as dark as you get, I would say it is not very dark at all! :) You have a mama's heart and what a blessing I am sure that is to your sweet Graysen! May the God of all grace pour out His lovingkindness, grace and sufficiency on you all!!!! Love and hugs to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete